Saturday, January 4, 2014

3 Ways To Create A Softer Background


So one question that I get asked as lot is:  "How do you get such a soft, creamy look in your photos?"

Now, I'm not a technical person, so I'll share the 3 ways I've learned to achieve this look by some visual examples.

1.  Longer focal length
35mm focal length vs 85mm focal length
So in these two images, the cat is in the same spot, all I did was switch from the 35mm to the 85mm.
Right now, the aperture is at f4 for both lenses.  The distance between the camera and the subject is another thing.  For this experiment, I wanted the images to be framed the same so in order for me to do that, I had to get closer to the subject with the 35mm and farther from the subject with the 85mm.  But you can also change the distance with the subject to achieve another way of creating a softer background.  You can create a shorter distance between you (the camera) and the subject.

2.  Longer distance between subject and background.
85mm subject closer to background vs 85mm subject further from background
Now, here all I did was move the subject further from the background and the subject instantly pops!

Below, I've also compared the distance with the 35mm focal length.

35mm focal length vs 85mm focal length
See how the longer focal length PLUS the distance from the background are both major factors in creating a softer background?

3.  Wider Aperture (lower the f-stop number)

85mm at f4 vs 85mm at f1.8

Now, f4 is a nice aperture, but for my own personal preference, I like to use a wider aperture.  I might sometimes go as wide as f1.8 but that might not be ideal for some people. You just have to play with what works for you and the situation.

I'm such a visual person, so I hope this helps someone who also is visual!




Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial Olivia! I need to get one of those 85mm lenses :)

    ReplyDelete